This challenge is now over but there will be more to come. Congratulations to everyone who did the challenge and slashed their TV costs! If you missed the challenge, you can still check out all the great resources below and read the comments for tons of tips on how to slash your own TV costs.
Be sure to sign up for my emails below so you always get notified when a new challenge is starting. The comments for this challenge are now closed - I look forward to hearing from you in the next challenge. The two recipients of the 'HTS swag' will be notified by email. If you want to see all the previous challenges, check out the main Save Money Challenge post.
After a long hard day … there’s just something about putting your feet up, grabbing a cold drink, and letting your mind be completely free while relaxing in front of the TV.
guilty convenient pleasure for most of us Canadians. I mean, honestly what else is there to do when it’s -20 outside with snow up the eavestroughs half the year anyway?
Cable and satellite TV companies know we love the convenience of TV on demand and are happy to charge an arm and a leg to provide this service to millions of addicted viewers.
Yes - it’s EXPENSIVE.
According to this CBC article, Canadians pay $53.56/mth on average for TV service alone. Even that to me seems low. A quick check of my local providers shows that bare bones TV costs a minimum of $60/mth with one provider and $40 per month with another before taxes.
But then, most people have PVRs, added specialty or movie channels, and other bells and whistles that raise the cost substantially. That quickly adds up to $100 a month or more after you factor in all those added costs and tack on the taxes.
Then, after you’re an established customer, the service providers are happy to raise your prices by about 4% per year like clockwork too - just because they can.
When do you say enough is enough?
You have options - it’s time to fight back and lower your bill!
5 Simple Steps To Participate
The goal of this challenge is simple, save as much money as you can on your TV related costs without depriving yourself of the enjoyment of watching TV.
The goal is to end up with similar or better service than you had before for significantly less money.
Let’s also keep it legit. We all know that we can pirate TV shows and movies and not pay a dime. However, the content creators deserve to get paid for their works.
- Write a comment below letting us know you’re in. Please include:
- Who your current TV provider is.
- What province you are in.
- How much you are currently paying for your TV service before tax. If you have a bundle, try to isolate just the cost of the TV portion.
- What your saving goal is for this challenge - how much do you hope to save?
- Prepare by reading the articles and resources in the clickable flowchart below and get into the mindset of saving as much money as possible.
- Go out and DO it - you have a little over 2 weeks to complete it.
- Check back often and brag about your savings - post a reply to your original comment to brag about your savings. Include things like:
- How much money you saved.
- What exactly you did to reduce your bill (i.e. negotiated a discount, changed packages, switched providers, cut the cord and went with internet TV, etc).
- The more details the better so other people can learn from you!
- Respond to other Smart Saver comments with tips, advice, and words of encouragement.
We’ll wrap-up this challenge in 2 weeks - March 29th, 2016.
What Your Comment Might Look Like
Resources For Saving Money On TV
Use the clickable links in the graphic below to access a full suite of resources to help you cut your TV cost.
Your Savings Are A Big Win
When you complete this challenge and crush your TV costs…
You win by saving big.
Imagine what you would do with this extra cash you wouldn’t have otherwise?
Also just for the fun of it, I want to throw in a little HTS swag for 2 smart savers who have: a) successfully completed this challenge, and b) cheered others on or helped them out. (I’ll contact you by email if you’ve got some swag coming your way.)
If you’ve already cut the cord - I want to hear from you as well! Share how you did it and how you made it work.
Don’t Miss Challenge Notifications
If you aren’t subscribed to our money saving tips newsletter, then you’re missing out on my FREE eBook and Monthly Budget Planner (if you’re looking to track your spending more closely).
Subscribe here so you get notified about future challenges and how you can participate. (Don't miss out on all the fun...and savings!)
I can’t wait to hear about all the creative and inspiring ways you’ll be saving money through this challenge. Keep me posted!