This is a one-stop page for products and tools that I use and recommend to get the best deals.
No fluff. Let’s go straight to the list of products, tools and deals I use and think are valuable:
Not afraid to say it. American Express Gold Rewards is my favourite credit card in my wallet. Flexible rewards, 2x points in 4 bonus categories, 25,000 point sign-up bonus, 10 different type of free insurance, and more.
MBNA Rewards World Elite Mastercard is my go-to credit card. Not only because it’s more widely accepted than Amex. But also it offers 2% flat cash back. 10,000 point sign-up bonus, flexibility between cash or travel rewards, and more.
Having trouble choosing? You can take this credit card quiz. I also update my list of best credit cards in Canada every year. Or if you want to investigate and do your own comparison, check out my list below.
Also read how to get a credit card annual fee refund.
Why pay for day-to-day banking when you can get it for free? I use Tangerine. Use my Orange Key and get a $50 bonus. ‘Nuff said.
Here's My Orange Key: 41502230S1
Credit Cards Rewards Rankings and Comparison
I’m working hard on building a one-stop shop for all things credit cards: news, rankings, comparisons, reviews, and more. Stay tuned for creditcardGenius.
Compare Mortgage Rates
Home ownership is serious business. After deciding on the house, next up is researching the best rates. Here’s the tool by RateSupermarket.
Compare Car Insurance Rates
Don’t pay more than you should on car insurance. Shop around for the best rate, here’s a comparison tool by Kanetix.
Investment Fee Calculator
Investing on auto-pilot? Not everyone is up for DIY investing like me. I get it. Here’s a relatively new site that compares costs from different providers.
Even if I’m only a baby travel hacker, I’ve enjoyed getting free flights and free hotel accommodations in North America, and Europe. (I even flew my in-laws to Asia first-class...using points.) Read Intro To Points And Miles For Travel Hacker Wannabes.
Download this Grocery Store Price Comparison Spreadsheet - and do your own calculations to get the lowest prices. (Or if you’re looking for grocery apps, you can also check out this list. Or make your own coupon binder.)
Getting the Best Deal
Mastering the art of stacking is learning the secret sauce of getting the best deal.
Trim Your Expenses
Quick list of resources to trim your car expenses:
- Here’s how you can extend the life of your car
- Get the most of your new car warranty
- Start the habit of rust proofing your car every year
- Use synthetic oil in your car, here’s why - and you should also bring your own oil as well
- Find out how much car repairs should cost
Things to consider:
- Cut the cord, here’s how to get started on internet TV
- Replace your home phone service with VOIP like magicJack
- Hack your cell phone bill, 5 ways how
- Lower your power and utility bills, here are 11 ideas
Smart Savers don’t need to be stuck at home, having fun is part of life:
- Here’s how to rein the tab when you’re eating out
- Score cheap movies while you’re at it, or
- Get cheap concert tickets (and good seats), and
- Visit the public library for free entertainment from books, music, videos, and games
And if you’re looking to stay in, couple of ideas:
From time to time, I update this list of available free gift cards of up to $100 to popular stores.
Can anyone really afford to ignore legit free money? Here’s 14 ways to get some.
Looking for ways to get MORE money in your pockets?
- You can negotiate to get more from bad customer service
- Negotiate your salary
- Download my 5 Simple Tools to Save Big Money Everyday
- Check out my list of cashback websites
- Have a side hustle (here are some ways to save money on your your home business)
Sure, these programs are meant to create loyal customers out of us. Does it work? Sometimes. I’m a member of about 30 rewards programs. But here are my two favourites:
The best rewards program in Canada. Period. You’re a pro if you’re willing to wait for big sales, get the 20x bonus points, and/or redeem points.
Aeroplan gives amazing value if you redeem your miles for flights and if you’re willing to be flexible. What an Aeroplan Mile is worth? I tell you in this post. Or if you want to read later, get this free PDF download.