Last updated: February 26, 2019
The Marriott Bonvoy American Express Credit Card (previously the Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express) is one of the only ways for Canadians to earn Marriott Bonvoy points quickly and easily.
Back when the no annual fee MBNA Starwood Preferred Guest Mastercard was still available, it was chosen as the primary credit card by hundreds, if not thousands, of deal savvy consumers over at Redflagdeals.
Now that the MBNA Starwood card has been replaced by this $120 annual fee card by American Express, it isn’t quite as popular but it is still an extremely good card especially for high spenders. Many people who used to use the MBNA Starwood card religiously, have also transferred over to, and now use, this card, including myself.
You can redeem the points directly for free hotel nights at Marriott Hotels, which provide exceptionally good value, especially in Europe.
You can opt for a Nights & Flights reward which gives you 50,000 airline miles and 5 free nights at a Marriott hotel for fewer points than booking the hotel and flights separately would cost.
You can even redeem for hotel nights with a combination of points and cash, buy valuable upgrades at participating hotels with sometimes as few as 1,000 points, or get 50% off the rack rate of participating hotels for only 1,000 points!
There are actually even more redemption options available than those ones, which is the number one reason why many people choose to shy away from Marriott Bonvoy (previously Starwood Preferred Guest) credit cards, the complexity.
It can actually be quite difficult to figure out the bonuses, redemption options, and how to get the best overall value for your points. However, even more people recognize the incredible value that this rewards program offers and take the time to figure out how to best use it to their advantage.
If this sounds like you, consider visiting our Marriott Bonvoy Rewards program review to get a complete understanding of how it all works along with valuable tips on how to get the most out of your points.
- Receive 60,000 welcome bonus points when you charge $1,500 to your card, in your first 3 months.
- Free Marriott Bonvoy Silver Elite status when you are approved for the card.
- Free Marriot Bonvoy Gold status when you reach $30,000 spending in a year.
- Get 15 Elite Night Credits each year to use towards attaining the next level of Elite status.
- Free hotel night at any participating Marriott location, awarded every year on your card's anniversary and has no minimum spend required.
- Option to convert points to almost any major airline reward miles program 3:1.
- Receive an additional 5,000 bonus miles when transferring 60,000 points to airline miles all at once.
- No annual maximum on the amount of points that can be earned.
- No annual fee on additional cards.
- Good insurance package on par with most platinum cards.
- American Express Front Of The Line access.
- Marriott Bonvoy is a complicated rewards program that can be hard to figure out.
- American Express is accepted at fewer locations than Visa and Mastercard making it harder to use as a primary card.
- Bad international currency conversion rates due to the Amex policy of converting all funds to USD first and then Canadian dollars.
- Extended Warranty - up to 1 year.
- Purchase Protection – 90 days.
- Travel Accident - $500,000.
- Flight Delay & Baggage Delay - $500 combined.
- Lost Or Stolen Baggage - $500.
- Hotel & Motel Burglary - $500.
- Car Rental Theft & Damage (CDW & LDW).
- Call centre assistance for many unexpected problems while travelling:
- Pre-trip planning information (entry requirements, vaccinations, etc).
- Find a legal advisor or medical help (costs paid by you).
- Emergency card replacement.