The Blue Sky® Credit Card is a very flexible no annual fee travel rewards card from American Express with a very simple rewards structure that is great for people who don’t want to deal with complicated rewards programs. You will earn a straight 1.25% return on all of your purchases that is applicable to any form of travel booked with any travel provider that you charge to the card. This is a better return than most cash back or other equally flexible cards offer with no tiers, so it has some significant advantages. Of course, you aren’t going to achieve as high of a return as the theoretical maximums you can get using airline miles in programs like Aeroplan or Starwood Preferred Guest. But, you can take advantage of the best seat sales and last minute deals without worrying about booking far in advance or only traveling only to specific high value destinations, which is quite honestly a major benefit. The 10,000 sign up bonus is also great for a no annual fee card!
- Higher reward rate of 1.25% when compared to most cash back cards.
- No annual fee and no tiers to qualify for the best reward rate.
- 10,000 points sign up bonus ($100 value) when you spend $500 on the card in the first 3 months.
- Extremely flexible for a travel rewards card:
- Any form of travel is acceptable as long as it is charged to the card.
- Can be booked using any agency, website, or other method.
- No restrictions on sales and last minute deals and no blackout dates.
- Can redeem points up to a year after the travel was charged to the card.
- Free supplementary cards.
- American Express Front Of The Line access.
- Terrible insurance package.
- Can only redeem rewards in increments of $50 (5,000 points) with a minimum of $100 (10,000 points) per redemption.
- American Express is accepted at fewer locations than Visa and Mastercard making it harder to use as a primary card.
- Horrible international currency conversion rate due to the Amex policy of converting all funds to USD first and then Canadian dollars.
- Travel Accident - $100,000.