I want to bring you, my readers, the absolute best and most complete information on saving money that can be found anywhere in Canada. That’s always been my goal and I’ve come to realize that I can’t do it alone – I need help!
Sure, I have a huge amount of money saving experience, but even still I find that I can’t constantly keep up with the latest money saving trends and strategies, let alone have time to write about them all. So, that’s where you or someone you know could potentially come in.
Who I Am Looking For
I am looking for dedicated individuals who are completely passionate about saving money!
- You love the thrill of a deal and you love talking about it and sharing what you’ve found with others.
- You have an active account on one of the major forums or websites dedicated to deals, saving money, or personal finance – probably multiple active accounts actually.
- You don’t just sit on the sidelines and absorb the information but you actively contribute to the discussion on a regular basis and often start new threads posting the latest deals and information or you aggregate existing information about a deal, product, or money saving strategy in an organized fashion.
- You enjoy writing, but are probably a little rough around the edges because it is more of a means to an end than an art form for you. That’s ok, I like editing!
- You have a high standard of quality and don't mind receiving feedback and constructive criticism on your work.
- You're ok starting small, and working with me to grow this thing together.
- You want to make some extra money for writing about things you would likely be writing about anyway – because hey, why not!
What Stuff Should You Know About?
What I want to do is to hire several people who have pockets of knowledge in several key areas so I can put together a team of people who have collective knowledge across the entire money saving spectrum.
This has two major benefits: first, you don’t need to know everything and you can focus on what you’re good at and second, you can write as often as you want because there will be other writers, including me, to share the load with. I repeat: you don’t need to know everything.
Being well-versed on saving money in one or several of the following areas would be ideal:
- Cars and Transportation – Getting from point A to point B is expensive and something we all need to do. Includes buying and selling cars, car maintenance, car sharing, commuting, public transit, parking, taxis, etc.
- Clothes – This is similar to shopping but deserves its own category because everyone must buy clothes. Includes unique things like clothes swapping, goodwill, thrift stores, designer brands, fabric quality, care and maintenance, etc.
- Coupons – Where to get them, how to use them, places that accept them, strategies for stacking them, how to organize and be efficient with them, etc.
- Credit Cards – There’s so much to know I broke this out of the Finances category. Includes points, sign up bonuses, rate of return calculations, churning, credit score, perks, insurance, fraud, acceptance, low interest balance transfers, risks, etc.
- Entertainment - dining out, attractions, movies, music, video games, adventures, outdoor activities, games, etc.
- Finances – Includes banking, saving, investing, budgeting, personal finance, money saving strategies, loans, etc.
- Food and Groceries – We all need to eat so everyone cares about and can save on food. Combines many of the other saving disciplines like couponing, flyers, sales, rewards, price matching, etc. As well as some other ones like buying local, buying bulk, wholesalers, gardening, freezer cooking, buying in season, etc.
- Freebies – Who doesn’t love a good freebie? Need detailed knowledge about where to look and how to get them.
- Hot Deals – I’m only interested in the hottest top quality deals that the majority of Canadians would be interested in, not just the latest promotion from store XYZ. Filtering to the max.
- Housing – Having a roof over our heads is necessary and expensive. Includes buying and selling real estate, rent, heating and cooling, maintenance, landscaping, yard work, furnishings, property taxes, commuting, etc.
- Insurance – Includes car, home, life, disability, rental, credit card, etc.
- Rewards Programs – Includes both retail and travel as well as Canadian and international.
- Shopping – Both online and offline. Includes sales, lowest prices, price matching, cash back, sales cycles, clearances, seasonality, gift cards, cross border shopping, direct from China, Ebay, Kijijij, etc.
- Services – Includes home phone, cell phones, TV/cable/satellite, Internet, etc.
- Taxes – Basically any way you can lessen your tax burden legally. Includes tax credits, income splitting, income deferral, tax software, tax strategies, etc.
- Travel – Includes flights, trains, car rentals, hotels, resorts, cruises, attractions, geo arbitrage, currency conversion, etc.
How To Apply
If you’re at all interested, then please send an email to writers [at] howtosavemoney.ca with the following information included:
- A brief introduction about yourself and your money saving experience.
- A list of your areas of money saving expertise taken from the list above.
- A list of forums you are a member of and the usernames you use on those forums.
- A quick summary of your writing experience, if any.
- How much time you would have to devote to this.
- An actual resume or link to a LinkedIn profile would be nice to get a better background on you, but this is optional.
I Hope To Hear From You!
I’m really excited about taking HowToSaveMoney.ca to the next level, and getting a lot more information out to my readers quickly. Are you the one who can help me do that?